Thursday, November 10, 2011

It's O.K. to make your Ski Playlist a month early...

A good ski playlist is priority, always, no matter what season - you hafta be prepared, man.  You just hafta.
So here's mine, in no particular order.  Just know they're all freaking good (would I decieve you?  would I have bad taste in music?  Oh law, never, darlings. ;))  and that every single one is a perfect ski song.  So here goes, my fellow ski bums/lovers/amies.

*Percussion Gun by White Rabbits.  Found this last year...through Nylon, I think? Friggin great song in general, and a good one to hit the slopes to.
*Reptilia by The Strokes (does this need explaining? Just beware...there's a whoooole lotta my boys The Strokes a comin up.)
*Vision of Division by The Strokes.  This one's angry and sexy and perfect to just...charge. you feel me?
*Heart in a Cage by The Strokes.  Oh freaking ditto.  I LOVE THIS SONG.  And it's a perfect ski song. Like as in I put this one on repeat and just go, freaking go.
*Under Cover of Darkness by The Strokes.  This is a really fun powder one.  The catchy hook, the tempo...yeah, The Strokes may not have known it at the time, but they freaking wrote this song for powder days.
*Jump by Simple Plan.  Old school-ish - okay, I'm seventeen, old school for me is mid 2000s!  cut me some slack.  But anyways, music from my angsty junior-high phase that is surprisingly good fun to ski to.
*Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones (not gonna lie, not a huge Rolling Stones fan.  But wait, don't shoot!  This song is sweet.  It's just enough Violent Femmes for me.  Good for sunny day skiing.)
*Help I'm Alive (The Twelves Remix) by Metric (Nylon and RCRDLBL got me hooked on these lovely people.  And this song is free HERE.  So, you know, that's cool.  I love me some Metric for skiing.)
*Woods by The Rosebuds (Nylon, love.)
*Shut Up and Drive by Rihanna.  What, did you think I was some indie machine?  I have a soft spot in my heart for this song, and Rihanna in general, and it's freaking fun to ski to.
*Somewhere Else by Razorlight. (You know how I told you I would never decieve you, never show you bad music? Well, I lied.  If you consider everything -lyrics, music, vocals, etc...this song falls short.  Sample lyrics: "I met a girl, she asked me my name, I told her what it was....I just can't help myself, I really, really wish I could be somewhere else."  No s***, Sherlock. 
But I crazy love the tension and switch at 1:35.  Ohhh, if that's not sexy I don't know what is.  And when I'm skiing at that moment it's like freaking heaven.  And the whole song's good to ski to in general, so PLEASE GET IT, it's sexy. thanks.)
*In the Morning by Razorlight.  This song is extremely sexy as well.  What can I say, the boys have a gift.  The end bit..."are you really gonna do it this time" all layered and desperate - love.  I really do love Razorlight, despite their many flaws. Because at the end of the day...they're sexy British men who know their way around a set of guitars.  Somewhat like almost every other band I love. (With the exception of The Strokes, who are sexy American men who know their way around everything.)
*The Limerick Rake by The Pogues.  At 1:54 when they get all traditional on us - marv.  Also, Limerick is the setting of one of my favorite books, Angela's Ashes.  So, you know, I can be all nerdily happy while hitting the slopes.  Leave me alone.
*Let's Kill Tonight by Panic! At the Disco.  I haven't skiied this one yet but MAN ALIVE am I excited.  Free, go "Search and Destroy" at Nylon. (You'll get the joke after you go there, lazy.)
*Kicking and Screaming by Oh My!  Hilarious girl electro-pop that's gonna be awesome, at all times, in all places, in all conditions. Also free, also Nylon.
*Animal by Neon Trees.  After recovering from Radio Shock (noun: a common virus in which great songs are nearly ruined by being insanely overplayed on the radio.  exceptions: anything Adele.) I realized what a bloody great ski song this is.  So yeah, this one makes me happy.
*Spotlight (Twilight Mix) by Mute Men.  I'm ashamed to have anything Twilight-related on here (have you not got by now that I'm a Harry Potter girl? I'll take genius magic stuff over melodramatic "romance" trash aaaanyday.) but this is a good one to ski.
*Roll Away Your Stone by Mumford and Sons.  Oh, loves, this one's deceptive.  The beginning sounds like nothing you want to ski to.  Pero...hold up.  Oh look, 51 seconds in that banjo kicks into gear...and so does your rear.  Now every day can be a Mumford and Sons day!  (I swear, I'm good.  I should write cat food commercial jingles, or something.)
*Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons.  A) It's quite literally literal.  B) Also fun to hit a broad run with.  Ok, ready set go.
*Electricityscape by The Strokes.  This is too sexy to not be included.  I haven't skiied this one yet but I'm thinking it's good for deep turns, where you're practically lying in the snow, and also for those days where man alive, but you are not happy, and you need a little yearning and skiing to make it all better.
*Good Girls Go Bad (Feat. Leighton Meester) by Cobra Starship.  Don't you dare judge.  This is too freaking genius.  It's freaking crazy fun to ski to.
*Somebody Told Me by The Killers has been on my playlist for AGES.  Cos it's perfect. The end.
*Ize of the World by The Strokes.  Oh, look, here my boys are again.  Maybe it's because they're amazing? 1:54 is probably the single sexiest moment in a song ever.  SO smooth.  Saying that in a really husky voice because it just is.  Did you know that when people hear a favorite song or a favorite part of a song, their brains literally just light up all over the place like a freaking forest of Christmas trees?  Listening to this song, I believe it.  LOVE IT.
*Safari Disco Club by Yelle.  This is a new addition for this season, and I'm excited to ski to this baby.  Also, hey, maybe I can rationalize away prioritizing skiing over homework by making the point to myself that...I am learning French when I listen to Yelle!  French 201, look out!
*Lions in Cages by Wolf Gang.  This got added last year and I am so in love with it. End of story.  Also free, also Nylon.  (Oh, btw, Safari Disco Club is free, free, free, at RCRDLBL.com too.  Cheers!)
*Darling Buds of May by Brother (now Viva Brother, cos some forsaken "Celtic Fusion" band of the same name took offense to Brother using the name Brother.  That's ok, Viva Brother's cooler.)  Ya'll have heard this one, obviously.  I'm thinking it'll be fun to ski to.  So check that out.
*Dum Diddly by Black Eyed Peas.  New addition, and imma eeexcited.
*Always Where I Need To Be by The Kooks.  One of my favorite bands.  This song is just good clean freaking happy fun.
*Brother Sport by Animal Collective.  This song gives me a headache, and it also makes me slightly nauseous (as does the cover, check it:  
but hey ho, if you're going to feel hungover and high and terminally ill all at the same time, this may as well be the way you do it.  (Don't be scared away by my words- it's the best kind of hungover, high, and terminally ill.)  I had an on-and-off relationship with this song last year, before I realized that I need it.  Also...free.  DON'T YOU LOVE THIS?!
*Fluorescent Adolescent by Arctic Monkeys.  Great song, freaking great skiing song.  So inappropriate. So good.
*How Far We've Come by Matchbox Twenty.  Always a solid ski song. 
*Like a G6 (Feat. Cataracs and Dev) by Far East Movement.  So dumb...and yet So. Much. Fun. This is the epitome of stupid but great.
*Everlasting Light by The Black Keys.  I'm trying this one out for the first time this season...I'm thinking...blazing sun, broad slopes, whisper-thin powder, langorous, deep curves. 
*My Body by Young the Giant.  OH YEAH.  I feel like that's really all I need to say.  Ski to this (okay, yeah, or even just listen to it) and you'll totally get it. And hello-okay, it's FREE.  On RCRDLBL.com, where else?
*Pump It by Black Eyed Peas.  Well, duh. Just duh.
*All Alone by Gorillaz.  Gorillaz is one of those bands that I forget for a bit, rediscover on my computer, and fall in love with all over again.  This song is the definition of excellent. It's making its skiing playlist debut this year so we'll see how that goes.  Well, imma hoping!
*Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall.  Remember my blazing sun, broad slopes, etc. poem up by Everlasting Light?  Same bat time, same bat place, same bat soliloquy. 
*Could It Be You (Punk Rock Chick) by HWood.  Haha...remember that dumb yet fun conversation?  This falls under the same category.  I looove skiing to this sucker.
*Techno Fan (Diplo Remix) by Wombats.  See the sweet music video HERE.  Oh looky, that's on my blog!  This is the remix I told ya'll to check out.  It's free at RCRDLBL.com, go clicky clicky, buy.  This season will be its skiing debut, but I'm confident it'll be, oh, you know, perfect.
*Tighten Up by The Black Keys.  Ditto my earlier ode to these geniuses.  And if that doesn't work out, well, it's important to have The Black Keys on my ski playlist as a matter of principle and also karma.
*Mercy by Matt Nathanson.  First run, I'm excited baby!
*Strange Times by The Black Keys.
*Black Horse & the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall.  Always. Always, always, always.
*Don't to Do by Lissie Trullie.  I don't know why, but I LOVE this song.  Like Brother Sport, I had an  on-and-off relationship with Don't to Do until I realized I just simply couldn't live without it.  This is like MY skiing song.  Yumbo scrumbos.
*Red Lights Indicate Doors Are Secured by Arctic Monkeys.  This song is one of my crazy favorites, and oh baby, this is going to be a heeecka ski song.  Woo freaking hoo, I am CRAAAAAZY excited.
*Kids by MGMT...because it's MGMT.
*We Are Young by 3OH!3.  Oh haaail yes.
*Oh look, it's THE END.  Which is good, because I was just about to throw in the towel.  Annotated bibliography for Writing 150, here I come. 
xxx and alla that jazz
Tabby






No comments:

Post a Comment