Friday, November 30, 2012

Tabby-Approved Challenges.

That's me. Totes crosswording like a boss. If I was a be-lensed fourteen year old boy of indeterminate race. Which is probably actually what I look like when I crossword. Whatevs. Brains > Beauty. Right?
 

I like a challenge, I really do. It suprises even me sometimes, for (crazy lazy lady) =/= (<3 challenge). It's simple math. (And that's all I got out of my entire academic career.) But I do. Of course, it has to be my idea of a good challenge. Physical stuff is great, stackin wood, &&c., but I'm thinking mental challenge, here: Thousand + piece puzzles, the New York & LA Times crosswords, Boggle, Scrabble, Spider Solitaire with four suits, highest level Tetris even. Say offhand that Sudoku is a great mental exercise and I will laugh pityingly, look at you sideways, and then maybe not talk to you for a couple of minutes - I've heard ignoring crazies is the best way to deal with 'em.

But I think I like these challenges for very lazy person reasons. They help me avoid real challenges...and they give me the high of having actually solved one.

Lots of homework to do?

OH LOOK. I CAN DO AN LA TIMES CROSSWORD PUZZLE. THIS MEANS I'M SMART AND HARDWORKING. WHAT DO YOU MEAN DOING MY HOMEWORK WOULD PROVE THAT AS WELL?

Chores that need doing?

OH LOOK! I GOT A PIECE IN THIS PUZZLE THAT'S TWENTY THOUSAND PIECES AND IS OF A PICTURE OF SNOW. I'LL VACUUM LATER. MUST SPEND ANOTHER HOUR FINDING THE NEXT CORNER.

Socializing to be done?

OOOH LOOK, LET'S PLAY SCRABBLE. I CAN IMPRESS YOU WITH MY SMARTS, IMPRESS MYSELF WITH MY SMARTS, FEEL LIKE I'M BEING SOCIABLE...AND ALL WITHOUT HAVING TO SAY ANYTHING TO YOU EXCEPT,
"Goatee?" "That's...I mean, that's pretty solid."
 "Oh, thanks. Qzjfhbk is just a little word I picked up reading Kafka one day."

Sleep to be had?

OH LOOK. I CAN STACK ALL THESE GARDEN SHOVEL AND FOUR-LEAF-CLOVER AND HEARTS AND ZERO-CARAT-DIAMOND KINGS AND QUEENS AND SUNDRY ALL ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. IN ORDER OF DESCENDING RANK. THAT'S LIKE SLEEPING. SOMEHOW.

Sometimes it takes me a while to think of what to blog. Tonight I thought of a funny opening and had to figure out what I was actually going to be talking about...and someday I'll figure Twitter out so I don't have to come up with a meaning for my funny quips.
Sometimes Blogger fights me and won't let me log on. Sometimes it gets pretty violent. (But don't worry, we've smoothed things over and I'm going to anger management therapy because my computer insisted on it, it was all "Don't hit me just because Blogger won't work.") (Just kidding about the therapy thing. What, did you think I was some kind of CRAZY?) (Just kidding. Cause I totes am. I would think you'd know that by now.)
So it's a bit of a challenge. What to write? How to even get on to write? What labels to use and other social media sites to link it to so people actually read it and how to make it funny and how to sometimes even sound a little bit intelligent and say things that people like and that make them think?

But in the end, it's my kind of challenge. ("I'm Tabitha Brower and I approve this challenge.")
And in the end, it's a challenge that helps me avoid reality.
(Like the fact that it's three freaking o'clock and I'm getting up at eight.)

But if it made you laugh or think about your own laziness or your own challenges or the meaning of life or even the pointlessness of that stupid effing 2000 piece puzzle of Saint Peter's Basilica in Moscow taking up all of your own dining room table (you too, huh?) or EVEN how it's true, Sudoku really is for stupid crazies...
then it's a challenge well worth wasting my time on, yeah?
So...think on that. Whatever the message of that was.
(If you do figure out what I mean ever, let me know. It would be nice to understand what's going on in my own brain.)
While you do that, Imma go see if that red Queen of Four-Leaf-Clovers is hiding somewhere.

xxx
Tabby





 

1 comment: